Re: [NTLK] I need a PDA, is a Newton a sane choice today?

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 08:26:09 EST

On 3/9/2007 2:02 AM, Scott Rogers wrote:

> Basically, they're modern technology. The Newton, cool as it is (and
> I'm seriously considering taking ONLY my Newt to London for a research
> trip this summer), is much larger, heavier, clunkier, older, kludgier,
> than any modern PDA.

Well I agree they are larger and heavier. However I also like the
larger screen, which no PDA manufacturer seems to want to do. I know
that for shirt pocket size it is better, but for data entry it is
annoying to say the least. But to each their own. It all comes down to
use what works best for you.

> With that said, I'm seriously considering ditching my Palm for my
> Newt, but my needs run more toward the palmtop computer than the PDA.
> And I'm keeping a very, very close eye on the UMPCs for my next
> portable.

Yes the UMPCs have potential but the battery life is just lousy and they
should have more of a "mobile" feel like the Newt. Or at least a Newt
like mode for people that don't care that their UMPC has a different
interface than their desktop.

-Dan