Re: [NTLK] I need a PDA, is a Newton a sane choice today?

From: Scott Rogers <srogers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 13:36:17 EST

Heh. I think that, in the end, it really boils down to needs. For
instance, I don't really have much use for a PDA. I have owned lots
of them, and I really go back and forth, but when the day is done I'll
just use my DIY planner + my Levenger circa junior-sized notebook for
my calendar needs. If I enter the data in some electronic gadget or
application, fine. If I don't, fine.

I came *back* to Newton because I need a portable with a bigger screen
that was designed to do more than just remind me of appointments and
read ebooks on, and as I said, I'm trying out the Newt to see how
comfortable I am with it before I leave on a research trip this
summer.

But as everyone around here has said, if someone NEEDS a PDA, get a
PDA. If someone needs sync, get a PDA. If someone needs access to
Exchange servers and whatnot, get an iPaq. The Newton is, in many
ways, more powerful/extensible than some of these gadgets, but it also
requires a tremendous amount of hair-pulling, teeth-gnashing, and
wailing to get it to do some of the amazing things it can do. Simon's
NCX is the bee's knees for me right now (wireless movement of data?!
INSANE!!!), and I can't wait to see v2.