[NTLK] We dodged the DST bullet, now on to the year 2010 issue . . .

From: Christopher Laspa, Creative Director & Principal - 999 Art Direction <999ad_at_pathcom.com>
Date: Sun Mar 11 2007 - 09:50:46 EDT

Now with the Daylight Savings Time issue behind us,
( http://www.softwarebueromueller.de/englisch/newton/daylight/
index.htm )
I suppose the next challenge is the year 2010 issue. I personally,
still use my MessagePad 2000 everyday, and conceivably, will still be
using it in the next 3 years (and beyond). Regrettably, nothing
current on the market does what this Newton does for me.

So -- I hunted out Avi Drissman's 'fix' (ca.1998), and have
thoroughly read the conclusions and encouraging observations by Jon
Glass (and others).

The 'fix' file can be found at:
http://www.drissman.com/avi/newton/ , or conversely at Ed's site at:
http://www.tek-ed.com/ on the last row above "Networking Files"
second from the left. Click "Fix for Year 2010".

Avi's 'fix' is a 'alpha', meaning he doesn't believe it is ready for
prime time. The included Read Me notes detail that the 'Minute Timer'
doesn't work, and he has some other interesting insight. Highly
recommended read. He highly advises on backing up EVERYTHING to
several places, as he likens messing with this fix to playing with
live hydro wires. Perhaps a bit melodramatic -- but you certainly
need your wits about you and should be very comfortable with solving
problems logically, in the event you do 'pooch' your Newton. Not
something for the timid or faint of heart!

All I can say at this point is, for me, it does work; I can forward
date the Newton to 2010 and go about setting Meetings/Events that
repeat with alarms and all is well. I can now come back to this time,
do the same, and all is well. It does turn over from Dec.31,2009 to
New Years Day 2010. (OT: Funny, but New Years Day, 2920, shows up but
without a year!) The only weirdness I have seen so far, is the Dates
overview takes a bit more time to show up, but then, I have entries
on mine starting from February 1996!

If my MP2000 does blow up in my face, I do have my backups and, if
push comes to shove, a brand new , never used, MP2100 waiting in the
wings.

With luck, either Avi Drissman or some other enterprising person with
some time on their hands, will be in a position to either update this
fix, or create a new one. Interesting times ahead for the Newton?

Regards,

Christopher @ 999 Art Direction

"Or the Newton line (an interface benchmark that we at Pen Computing
maintain has still not been exceeded) . ."
-- Pen Computing / May 2004