Re: [NTLK] rebuild a battery pack?

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 13 2007 - 20:51:25 EDT

~~~ On 2007/03/13 03:07, Scott Welch at xvilemx@gmail.com wrote ~~~

> Is it possible to rebuild a battery pack for the newton? If so is there
> anyone who can do it for me, or point me to a way to do it? Thanks
> Scott Welch
> Newton 2000/110
> Las Vegas, NV...

Scott,

If you really can't find anyone Stateside doing battery rebuilds, I offer 2
suggestions for what they're worth.

First, if there really isn't anyone back home doing the job, go to
<http://www.pda-soft.de/hardware.html>. It's on Frank Gruendel's
informative web-site, and from that page you choose the appropriate link for
your model of Newton.

You need to be meticulous and a little adventurous to do this for your first
time. I aspire to it but I'm certainly not there yet! And that brings me
to my second suggestion.

First, contact Frank Gruendel ASAP, and arrange with him a good time when he
would have time to rebuild your battery. Make sure to arrange it when you
and the family can take your summer holiday.

Now here's the cool part. Book yourself a 2-week holiday (more if you have
the time) in Germany this summer to correspond with the time you set up with
Frank.

Arrange with Frank that you'll post your battery to him as soon as you land
in Germany, and arrange to get it back from him before you leave for home.
Then go off to enjoy the wonders of Germany. There's plenty to see and do,
and you won't regret the enriching experiences you and your family take
home. If you want variety you can even take side-trips to France,
Switzerland and Denmark, but you'll probably find you don't need that.

I should insert here that I'm using batteries rebuilt by Frank, and I'm one
of his very satisfied customers. Shipping between the States and Germany is
steep, so think of my outlandish suggestion as a way to get extra value for
the cost of transporting your battery. (Granted shipping would be cheaper
than your flights, but you'll get a brilliant vacation if you do it my way!)

So just add it up: a great vacation in Germany *and* a well-rebuilt Newton
battery that doesn't cost more to ship than it does to rebuild, and maybe
even a chance to meet someone who knows an astonishing amount about the
Newt? How could it get better? ;)

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a NewtonPad.˛
            -- What Arthur C. Clarke meant to say

http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl