Re: [NTLK] [ANN] Flashpoint 0.2 - Getting Things Done with the Newton

From: <knowtree_at_aloha.com>
Date: Wed Mar 14 2007 - 21:35:19 EDT

> On 13. Mar 2007, at 02:17, Steven Frank wrote:
>
> > I was wondering what environment you use to do your Newton
> > development? NTK on Windows? Is it holding up OK?
>
> I'm using NTK on my trusted Cube :)

First off, I am enjoying Flashpoint.

1. What are the heavy lines along the right side of the Subprojects tab
for? When I tap on Next Action or Notes I still see a little piece of them,
as if the overlay window were slightly smaller. Is this by design?

2. Took me awhile to figure out how to add a sub-project. Can you add a
"New" button on the -- what is it on the Newton, the toolbar with the "i"
and "x" buttons. That would match the behavior of Names and Dates.

3. A few years ago I ran into the problem of what to name the root of a
tree. In UNIX the root of the file system is the initial slash. I decided
that because my application described the data structure as an inverted
tree I should call the root TOP and hard code it in, just like "/" is
hardcoded into the UNIX file system. A full path would read
TOP.Software.Time Management.Flashpoint. This entire thing would be the
data organization of a collection named Newton.

On programming:

I want to poke around with Newton programing. I have one of the last of the
colorful iMacs, a Cobalt blue one. It can run OS-9 just fine, and OS-X but
really slow. No serial ports. Would this be a useful development platform?
I also have one of the last flat screen PPC iMacs, but it does not boot
into OS-9 (currently Tiger) and I can never get to it because my son uses
it for WoW and Bryce and Photoshop and Flash.

Do I need any software beyond what is on UNNA? Like a compiler or a good
programming editor?

Gary Dunn
Honolulu