Re: [NTLK] Stuff It......why I now hate it

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Thu Mar 22 2007 - 03:55:51 EDT

On Mar 22, 2007, at 1:28 AM, Dan wrote:

> On 3/21/2007 8:06 PM, Steven Frank wrote:
>> On Mar 21, 2007, at 4:52 PM, Norman Palardy wrote:
>
>> Certainly nobody should be making NEW archives with StuffIt. If you
>> are, please stop. :)
>>
>> Maybe someday we can have a big "convert all the .sits to .zips"
>> party on UNNA.
>>
>> Steven
>
> Exactly! And I am all for the "concert all the .sit to .zip",
> count me in.

Um, careful though! There is still the issue with the resource fork
which is lost if you compress with regular .zip tools! I have not
tested this with the OS X zip tools, which will probably preserve the
resource fork, but I would suggest that you *test* this in all
possible configurations *before* converting .sits into .zips. For
example, what happens if you try to install a .zip on a OS 8 machine?
(which is pretty common when using BasiliskII on an Intel Mac to run
Newton software).

On all other issues, I wholeheartedly agree! .sit is dead and gone
thanks to their "expander" policy.

----
http://robowerk.com/