Re: [NTLK] Found this on engadget...

From: Scott Rogers <srogers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun May 06 2007 - 17:07:52 EDT

Seb:

A "legal pad" in the US is just a notepad with paper attached at the
top (with perforations for easy tearing). There's actually a pretty
good description of it all on wikipedia (go figure!). Here are some
pictures:

http://tinyurl.com/2zs2y9

I'm sure you can get them at your local stationary shop.

I suggest you poke around the following sites:

http://43folders.com
http://diyplanner.com/

I'm not sure if circa systems are available in the UK (although I
assume they are). You can find them at

http://levenger.com

Levenger is pretty expensive, but the stuff they sell is really good
quality. I use two 5x8 notebooks from them; one houses my calendar
(printed from diyplanner) and one houses my lecture notes (I use 5x8
notecards with a template printed on them. These cards are stored
each term so I can quickly look back and see what I taught and when).

I also use a Moleskine for my general note-taking (these should be
readily available at your local stationer). One of the "hacks" that
43folders recommends is to write a "subject" in the corner of each
page so you can flip through and find things quickly.

One word of warning: you sound like you're a bit like me insofar as
you seem to be on a quest to find a perfect system of some kind. Be
very careful. It is incredibly easy to get sucked into this quest for
what Merlin Mann calls "the perfect apostrophe" to such a degree that
you actually don't do the work you're supposed to be doing!

http://tinyurl.com/2dq6zr

This is also, as I said, discipline-specific. If you're in
engineering, your needs are different than, say, if you're in
philosophy.

Cheers