Re: [NTLK] Found this on engadget...

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun May 06 2007 - 17:21:14 EDT

~~~ On 2007/05/06 18:47, Seb Payne at seb@sebpayne.com wrote ~~~

> Now I am very interesing in this conversation. I bought my eMate (if
> it ever arrives) and
> possibly a MessagePad for note taking as a primary purpose. I've got
> major A-level exams coming up and I've been trying different ways of
> note taking and such without much success. I've tried making notes and
> mindmaps with my MacBook Pro but it's very unnatural and difficult to
> get things to flow the way I want to. Therefore, the Newton in its
> role as a "tablet computer" seems perfect. I don't see it as a PDA
> since it does too much and is too large to carry in a pocket. It's a
> little computer I would carry in my backpack.
>
> One of my teachers has that device for electronic paper. I was quite
> impressed with it and the handwriting recognition is, `'sketchy" to
> say the least. The thing is - I see myself as quite an "Apple person"
> and like elegant solutions that work in a classy style. I like things
> to intergrate well. The Digi Memo is anything but that - with paper,
> pens, batteries, limited memory, a rubbishy website and software that
> requires Windows. I am considering a new solution and so far, Newton
> seems the best. Thoughts on this?
>
> On 06/05/07, Alan Balas <gomphos@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> I can totally understand that. My gripe is that it's no fun to write on
>> glass (or a screen protector). I mean it's a just a dead end for me. As
>> great as my 2000U is, I just can't write anything of length on it.
>>
>> The best solution that I've seen for note-taking - inelegant as it is - is
>> something like this: http://www.digi-memo.com.
>>
>> - Alan

Seb,

FWIW, I'd say go for the MP2100. One thing: before you commit to working
through your A-levels, try the Newton out, to be sure the HWR works well
enough for you. Some people apparently have trouble with it so it's good to
check first that you aren't one of them before you get too tied into it.

If you can use it, a Newton is a fantastic way to take all kinds of notes:
geometric shapes and free-form drawing as well as writing. You'll be able
to draw out mindmaps as easy as blink, also free-hand diagrammes of things
like electron shells, vectors, and all sorts of stuff. I use mine to draw
maps, schematics, graphic representations of web-sites, chemical processes,
as well as to record Chinese characters and draft out the layout of my
offices. That's in addition to ordinary notes and things.

OTOH, you may find that the best way is still low-tech. Many years ago, I
sliced my way through sciences, languages, and other courses at university
using 3x5 cards (and for biochemical reaction cycles and vertebrate
dissection notes, using 4 x 6 cards). I kept them in sets by punching a
hole in the corners and using large hinged clasping rings with them. The
flexibility of this system, allowing for coloured cards and coloured pens,
and diagrammes and such as well as text, is hard to beat. Also, processing
the raw data enough to "boil it down" onto cards is a huge first step in
mastering it. If I went back tomorrow, I'd seriously consider doing it the
same way. And even if I used my Newton, I'd probably create my Newt-notes
along similar lines to my index cards all those years ago, in effect leaving
me with sets of e-cards.

All the best on your A-levels, whatever you end up using.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a NewtonPad.˛
            -- What Arthur C. Clarke meant to say

http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl