Re: [NTLK] wifi discrepancies

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 11:45:33 EDT

I know I'm not the person you aimed the question at but I'll give you my
experience too. I have two ways I do it. First, I have a worksite set up
with no SSID. The wifi card will then try to connect to any hotspot it
finds. This has worked for me in airports and restaurants. My second method
is a bit more rare and costly. I have a Nintendo DS equipped with a CF
adapter and loaded with wifi sniffer software. I use that to find the SSID
and if it is open or needs WEP. This is also handy for checking signal
strengths and I generally use it in hotels. I have not had as much success
in hotels though because of the redirect security they use.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
mhowe@gfn.org (Newton)
http://santa-duck.dyndns.org:8080/ (Newton server)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/ (desktop)

Peter Hofmann wrote:
<snip>
just one question: how can you contact a wifi hot spot with a newton?
It was kind of a p.i.t.a to connect via WLAN to my os x mashine.
Please tell us, how to make the newton connect to free wifi spots.
<snip>