Re: [NTLK] Carrying a 2100: holster

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Feb 15 2008 - 14:34:19 EST

I wouldn't be too quick to fault the US level of paranoia...

  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=513875&in_page_id=1770

  tinyurl (http://tinyurl.com/2ltveq)

  Basically, this mechanic steps into a bus, someone reports that he has a gun, then hundreds of cameras focus on the poor chap when he leaves the bus and when he gets near his home, the police pounce on him and take him to jail...without even verifying that he is carrying a gun or not...
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog@gmail.com> wrote:
    <snip>
   weapon unfortunately... by others...

Useful thought, Sonny, I hadn't considered that. Thanks. I currently live
overseas though I get back home quite a lot, and I tend to forget how
paranoid our folks can be when I've been away for awhile. Over here people
are a lot more inclined to find out what a thing is before they decide it's
a gun. (Of course they might shoot you for just being a Brazilian
electrician on your way to work, but that's another story.)

I don't really mind answering questions ("no, officer, it's just an object I
use for writing; the pen is mightier than the sword") as long as I'm not
laying on a stretcher with a bullet wound and the question isn't "do you
have health insurance or a credit card?" And I despise the mind-set that
says, "there are people who will do anything to take away the liberties we
enjoy, so let's make sure they can't do anything -- by surrendering our
liberties all by ourselves". That destination is slavery, that road is
cowardice. I'd be better off dead.