Re: [NTLK] restoring Newtonworks

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Mon Feb 25 2008 - 09:46:28 EST

On 2/24/2008 12:13 PM, Oliver Leaman wrote:
> Thanks for the various suggestions, I tried to follow them but had no luck. In the end I wiped the 2100 with a hard reset and then tried to reinstall Works, and it worked fine, so there must have been something there that interfered with the extension. I have to admit being frightened in the past to do a hard reset given the worries about whether it would ever come back to life again, but it certainly readily did. One suggestion I read was to carry out such a hard reset regularly, since it is good for the machine. Is that true? Something about dealing with the heap problem, whatever that is. Now I have done it once I would be happy to do it again, if it is advisable.
>
> Oliver

Well what it does is reduce fragmentation of memory. As you use it,
memory gets fragmented and takes a little more memory due to this and is
a little slower reading/writing. Some do this on a regular basis, but I
don't bother. At least I don't see a degrade in performance enough to
justifty it. Of course if you use a lot of external cards as data
storage, then those will need to be "defraged" as well to see a speed
difference when accessing them.

-Dan