Re: [NTLK] No New Newt

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 08:02:23 EST

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:57 -1000, Gary Dunn <knowtree@aloha.com> wrote:
> This despite all the pre-show certainty. I think HWR is the killer. Whenever I talk about that part of my Open Slate design, eyes roll. There seems to be a lot of comfort in keyboards.

And _why_ is it the killer? I don't know if it's comfort in keyboards,
or the simple fact that the HWR on the Newton was so totally panned in
the perception of so many people. All most poeple know about HWR is
from the Newton's earliest days, when it was (honestly enough)
rightfully panned.

It wasn't really ready for the prime time, was rushed into service,
and garnered such negative press, that now, almost 15 years later,
there has _yet_ to appear a PDA/tablet that dares to emulate the
system-wide HWR system that the Newton had. Everybody, and I mean
everybody, relegates it to second-class citizenship--OS X, PocketPC,
NintendoDS, Nokia N8x0 series, even Palm... Nobody has even tried to
get close to what the Newton acheived... and I don't think it's
because they can't, but that they _won't_... Bad vibes, if you catch
my drift--don't risk _any_ comparisons to the Newton OS, or risk being
trashed/panned/dismissed. That's my opinion...

On a practical side, on a good keyboard, I type much faster than I
handwrite... but on a tiny keyboard, I think it's a wash, so why not a
good HWR

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland