[NTLK] vCard Puzzle

From: Greg Hankins <ghankins_at_mac.com>
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 08:30:08 EST

Hi folks!
I have been playing around with finding an effective way of syncing
my Mac OSX Tiger AddressBook (4.0.6) with my MP2000. Some latenight
searching of the list archives (using "Newtsync" as the search term),
along with a lot of testing, has pretty much convinced me that
NewtSync is not the answer, and that, in fact, there is no actual
"sync" software for this scenario. (If this conclusion is inaccurate,
I would be extraordinarily pleased to see it refuted.)

In lieu of a real sync, I am now messing about with moving info back
and fourth using vCards. I'm using email to do it, with OSX Mail on
the Mac side and Mail V on the Newton side. I have found the following:

1. When I move a complex vCard from the Newton to the Mac -- that is,
one with multiple addresses, telephone numbers, and emails -- all the
info comes across.

BUT

2. If I move a similarly complex card from the Mac to the Newt, I
only get one address. All the email addresses and phone numbers come
across, but only one mailing address.

I can open the vCard exported by AddressBook with a text editor on
the Mac and see all the info there, but, when I look at that "part"
of the email in Mail V, I get only one address, which is all I get if
I "put away" to Names.

Anyone else have this problem? Is this a Mail V issue — i.e., is Mail
V failing to see the multiple addresses — or a Newton problem?

Is there a better way than email to move the vCard?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers!

Greg