Re: [NTLK] [NTLK]Nokia buys Troltech

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 14:40:35 EST

On Jan 28, 2008 8:23 PM, Martin Joseph <NT@stillnewt.org> wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2008, at 10:06 AM, Jon Glass wrote:
>
> > On Jan 28, 2008 6:40 PM, Woody Smith <woodysmith@comcast.net> wrote:
> > Perversely, it also puts Nokia in an awkward position. Their internet
> > tablets run on GTK+ (Gnome) which is like the mortal enemy of KDE,

> I think you are overstating the "mortal enemy" nature of this
> competition? Hopefully open source developers are not so stupid as to
> be destructive of each others efforts.

Well,that _was_ somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I've seen some rather
strong (and ugly) words in this debate, especially on the side of the
"GNU" GTK+ folks, who don't see KDE as being truly in the spirit of
FOSS. But yes, the vast bulk of the discussion is both good-natured
and light-hearted--like the debate/argument between the vi and emacs
adherents. ;-) (myself, I'm a Wordstar fan!)

> > Oh, one more thing... Wonder how Nokia will respond if competitors
> > start putting the open-source QT or KDE stuff on their phones? ;-)
> They would need some pretty beefy phone hardware for that...
>
> I see this as being a response to Google's android and shows a desire
> on Nokia's part to participate fully in this exciting area (ie Linux
> devices).

And you don't think that Nokia stuff will be used in Android? Hm...
;-) Imagine a Motorola phone using the webkit developments that came
from Apple and Nokia, or some toolkits that make the interface much
more responsive and capable on the smaller screen... :-) That is one
"application." Of course, since it seems that both Nokia and Apple
seem to be working together on webkit, it's not impossible that the
companies would see this cross-pollenation as a good thing... Let's
hope.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland