Re: [NTLK] No New Newt, epaper witn pen

From: Apostolos Koutropoulos <der_admiral_at_mac.com>
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 09:24:05 EST

I've been following this pen versus keyboard discussion for a few days now, but I think that some people who are pro pen or pro keyboard (or thumb-board) are missing some key points. Different input methods have different strengths and weaknesses. I would prefer to have both incorporated into my device rather than have to choose one or the other.

Stylus Input Pros:
No need for a solid surface to stand the device on
You can free-hand drawings and notes as you would on a regular piece of paper
With HWR or Ink Text - Searchable notes!

Stylus Cons:
Speed is an issue

Keyboard Pros:
Speed- speed - speed

Keyboard Cons:
If you have a 'regular' keyboard you will need a surface
If you have a thumboard your speed will be impeded
No way to freehand a drawing or add 'sidenotes' to your notes without going through some convoluted process.

There other thing I wanted to comment on was that there is no 'natural' way of input. I've seen people say that handwriting is natural, whereas a qwerty (or azerty, or other keyboard) is not a natural way for humans to record information. I disagree. Just because as a species we started scribbling things in mud and wax tablets several thousand years ago, doesn't mean it's the natural way. It's what we had, it's what we kept (and improved on with quills, and pens, and ink, and paper) Just because handwriting came first doesn't mean that it is superior (or inferior) to other methods. Just like everything it has pros and cons. If you are out of power you can always get a pen and a notebook and write, whereas with a computer/PDA - if the power is gone - that's it, keyboard or no keyboard.

just my 2c