Re: [NTLK] No New Newt, epaper witn pen

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 09:43:22 EST

~~~ On 2008/01/30 14:24, Apostolos Koutropoulos at der_admiral@mac.com wrote
~~~

> just my 2c

Apostolos, nice, thoughtful, balanced. It's a good reminder that we're
talking horses for courses, not The Single Best Input Method.

However, having agreed with you for the most part, I naturally want to argue
that if there were such a thing as The Single Best Input Method, surely it
would have to be versatile enough to give a fair representation of what's in
our minds -- of what we're trying to enter. Even if we accept that speed is
on the side of the keyboard, versatility is against it, as you note. The
MP2x00 gives the choice of hand-written notes, geometrical or free-style
drawings, and sound recordings. Add a camera and you'd have the lot. On
that basis, it could be argued that the Newton's current technology should
be developed to increase speed, rather than backing off from the
digitizer-and-HWR approach to return to the one-dimensional keyboard.

And yes, the keyboard alternative is there, suggesting that perhaps the most
versatile setup is a Newton with the option of a plug-in keyboard.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl