Re: [NTLK] No New Newt, epaper witn pen

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 03:24:40 EST

On Jan 31, 2008 3:28 AM, William Pociengel <hseldon@my.wgu.edu> wrote:

> Jon Glass wrote:
> > On Jan 29, 2008 4:54 AM, William Pociengel <hseldon@my.wgu.edu> wrote:
> >> A keyboard is fast because you've never tried to do something else.
> >
> > But you missed my point. It's not about being the fastest. It's about
>
> nononono the whole argument has been the keyboard is faster. so don't
> change the question. i get enough of that at work where application
> teams keep trying to tell me my solution to their problem but they keep
> changing the problem.

The claim was made that computers should be more like epaper. My
comment was in response to that, and then you said I prefer keyboard,
because I've never tried anything faster. To which I replied, that you
missed _my_ point, which was simply what we are comfortable with. Man
has hand-written since the beginning of time. And typing on keyboards,
almost identical to what we juse today, for over a hundred years.

And to further frustrate you, ;-) I would add that probably one reason
why nobody has felt any huge push to change how keyboards operate is
that the keyboard, as we know it, to be frank, is "good enough"
technology. I know for myself, that though I could proably type much
faster, I can't "think" faster. I can already put words onto the
screen (except when typing in this cursed Gmail!) about as fast as I
can express them in words in my mind. What I I could physically type
150 words per minute? It would merely mean that there was that much
wasted potential!

O, in the end, inertia keeps the qwerty (or in some languages, qwertz
or awerty--or whatever they use in Japan--though, with those
languages, I don't know why tablets don't rule) king. It's good enough
that nobody feels a strong urge to change. And yes, I cound myself
among them....

.... now, if something compelling came along, and weren't 1.
expensive, and 2. difficult to learn, I would try it. But so far,
nothing I've seen compells me at all...

So, that's where _I_ stand... can't speak for the others.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland