[NTLK] Mini notebooks

From: Kostas Theofilis <roufianos_at_mac.com>
Date: Sat Jul 05 2008 - 10:58:13 EDT

Regarding your intention for mini notebooks, John...

I bought an Eee PC 701 (the 4G model)

I am not impressed from it. In fact I am pretty disappointed.
Seriously underpowered. I tried the default Xandros system and a
couple of others (Ubuntu variations)
Comments:
1) The build quality is poor
2) The usability is poor. While the keyboard is not that bad, if you
do a bit of practice, the touchpad and the mouse buttons are terrible.
3)The main problem is that it tries to run a full blown OS. Tooooo
slooooow....
4)Stability is mediocre at best. No matter what OS it runs. Maybe
because of hardware limitations.
5)But the worst of all is the battery life. Less than two hours! So it
is actually impossible to take it with you for the whole day.

All the above are problems apply if I consider it a mini notebook. If
I consider it a "have it with you all day" machine, the lack of HWR
and the form factor are additional disadvantages.

Well at least it has found its place as an interim machine for email
and very light web browsing for the OH. But it is almost constantly
connected to AC power now.

Overall, I would stay away from this class of machines.
Just my two pennies though!

Kostas