[NTLK] Freeloader with the Newt?

From: Adam Ladds <aladds_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 09 2008 - 17:27:06 EDT

Hey list,

I know I've not participated in discussion for a while, but I have
been rather busy (A-Levels!!)

Anyway, I have a question. Has anyone used a Freeloader solar charger
with their Newt? It comes with a tip which fits the power plug, but
I'm worried that the voltage/current might not be up to the newt's
requirements. It provides 5.5v ± 0.5v DC at 500mA. I know Adriano's
NewtUSB adaptor can charge the newt from USB, and these voltages are
close to USB (it even comes with a USB 'tip' for plugging your USB
powered device into it with), but I still worry if it's a good idea
to use the Freeloader as everyone says to only use a proper Newton
adaptor and all that...

For those of you who've yet to meet this beast, here's the website:

http://www.solartechnology.co.uk/products/solar_chargers/freeloader.asp

Or in tinyurl form:

http://tinyurl.com/2cjluf

TIA :)