[NTLK] Re; Problems with transferring files via NCU

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Mon Jul 21 2008 - 02:10:05 EDT

> So, finally, after several months of watching I decided to
> get one on ebay.

Welcome to the community!

> My problem is that I can't transfer particular files with NCU to an
> internal storage, due to the size limitations or something

From what you describe size limitiation is probably not the problem.

> All I get is a message from Newton that my PC closed the connection
> or something like this in the middle of transfer.

This is a well-known problem. NCU has a problem with the speed of
state of the art (and even no longer state of the art) PCs. Usually
this can be fixed by starting one or more instances of slowdown.exe,
which you can find at http://www.unna.org. You can start this program
multiple times, each instance will make your PC slower. My 1GHz Athlon
PC, also running XP like yours, usually needs 1-2 instances of
slowdown.

Be aware that the connection tends to become less reliable when the
Newton is not connected to a power adapter and the batteries are
almost discharged.

Frank