Re: [NTLK] Re; Problems with transferring files via NCU

From: Virgil <gauss9_at_yandex.ru>
Date: Sun Jul 20 2008 - 15:33:07 EDT

> I use the virtual machine software (free from Microsoft) with an instance of Win98SE loaded. This works great for me. I can run NCU for copying files, import export, etc. I can also run NTK for software development. I also run the IIS web server on my XP box. I use it to host files locally. Then using Newtscape I can download pkg files to my newton over my local network. That is the method I use most often to just load a quick file like a Newton book I have just downloaded or created. Give these things a try. If you need more help, just let us know.
>
> Matt (Ducky) Howe
I've tried to use VMware with 98SE, but same crap occurs! I've also
tried to use Newtscape, but it says that this copy has expired and don't
work anymore.
>> So, finally, after several months of watching I decided to
>> get one on ebay.
>>

> Welcome to the community!

Thanks!
> This is a well-known problem. NCU has a problem with the speed of
> state of the art (and even no longer state of the art) PCs. Usually
> this can be fixed by starting one or more instances of slowdown.exe,
> which you can find at http://www.unna.org. You can start this program
> multiple times, each instance will make your PC slower. My 1GHz Athlon
> PC, also running XP like yours, usually needs 1-2 instances of
> slowdown.
>
> Be aware that the connection tends to become less reliable when the
> Newton is not connected to a power adapter and the batteries are
> almost discharged.
>
> Frank

Aha, so I could achieve better results when using a slower CPU? I guess,
I'll take my Newton, cable & soft at work tomorrow - there are lot of
old PCs, starting with 286 and so on.
Now, I got Athlon 3800+ with 2 Gbs of RAM, not sure how many copies of
"slowdown.exe" I may need. I also heard that disabling L1 cache in BIOS
could help with speed issues in older applications, but never tried this
method.

> Welcome to Newton Talk.
>
> I wonder if the internal memory store is full?
> With the extras drawer open tap the 'i' and select memory.
>
> Woody
There's about 1.3 megs left, and my files (NIE 2.0) are about 300kb.

Thanks for responses guys!