Re: [NTLK] Partial Success going from Notes to PDF

From: Don Zahniser <dzahniser_at_rochester.rr.com>
Date: Mon Jul 21 2008 - 10:51:35 EDT

Hi, All -

I've tried this, but am having problems, as described below.

Ed Miller wrote:
> Hey Folks,
>
> I've been stubbornly trying to get ink text written notes off my emate
> and onto my computer. Ideally, I would have these documents as a pdf
> and it seems that I have partially achieved that. Here's how:
>
> 0. You need an internet enabled newton. I was able to get this work on
> an emate with a 3COM 3CXE589ET ethernet card hooked up to my Airport
> Extreme (802.11g) base station's LAN port. This will probably all work
> with a wireless newton. Just get all the requisite connectivity
> software installed before trying this.

I'm using an MP2100 with a 3Com Megahertz 3CXE589EC.

> 0.a Oh and you need a mac - but I think it wouldn't be hard to find
> the equivalent PC software.

Mine's a G4 Cube running Tiger...

> 1. Install LPRDriver on the newton. (http://www.kallisys.com/newton/lpr/)

Done...

> 2. Install CUPS-PDF on OS X
> (http://www.codepoetry.net/projects/cups-pdf-for-mosx)
> 2a. CUPS-PDF is a nice piece of software that lets you create a
> "virtual printer" that simply exports the printed file as a pdf into a
> preset location. This is not a terribly impressive feature on OS X as
> the print dialog box offers this option without any add-on software.
> The purpose of CUPS-PDF is to let the newton print to this "virutal
> printer" rather than a real printer.

Y'know, I saw this software and didn't make the connection to its
possible applications like you did. Thanks!

All set up and successfully tested on my Cube.

> 2b. Make a folder on the desktop called "cups-pdf". This is case sensitive!

When I printed to this 'printer' from my Cube, the folder was
created automatically.

> 2c. You can change this default location by editing
> /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf - if you want

Heh - maybe later. I just printed a copy of the web page into that
folder, so that I would have documentation of its use in case I forget.
  Not likely, but I am a couple years past double-nickels.

> 2d. You'll find instructions on this webpage regarding how to set
> up this software. Go and follow this and give the software a try with
> some document on your mac.

The directions vary slightly from the printer setup in Tiger, but easy
enough for me to 'translate'.

> 3. Go to the Sharing System Pref and turn on printer sharing
> 3a. Allow sharing on the CUPS-PDF printer

I already had printer sharing turned on, and when I installed this
printer, it was automatically shared.

I then tested it using my Pismo, also running Tiger. I set up an LPD
printer on the Pismo and it worked just fine.

> 4. On the newton, go pick a document you want to print.
> 4a. Under the printer selection pull-down click on Choose LPR Printer
> 4b. Click Add
> 4c. Add any name you want
> 4d. Give the local IP address that your mac is assigned to by the
> router - you might be able to get away with Computername.local

I used both the IP address and my Cube's 'Cube.local' address. Both
worked (after I used the correct IP address).

> 4e. Under queue put "CUPS_PDF" - case sensitive and notice the underscore.
> BTW, the queue name for any other printer can be easily found
> by going to the Print & Fax Sys Prefs, clicking on a printer then
> clicking the "Open Print Queue..." button, and then clicking the info
> button the window that pops up. The queue name can be read off from
> here.

All this is set up and works from my Pismo. I also set it up on the MP2100.

> 4f. Make sure "Spool job before sending it" is selected

Done

> Close the necessary windows in the newton and click print using this printer.
>

> Success: I have been able to print very small documents containing
> about a line of text and a line of handwritten notes. - So this
> works!!! - At least in principle...

My success is that the Pismo works, and the Newton goes through all of
the slips and displays for printing, and finishes normally. However...

For me, nothing from the Newton shows up in the cups-pdf folder. I
tried a checklist and a plain note. I'm pretty sure that the printer
_is_ handling the Newton's output to some extent. The files that end up
in the folder from my Cube and Pismo are all formatted
'job_nnn-document_title.pdf'. where 'nnn' is a number that increments
with each printing, and spaces in the document title are replaced by
underscore characters. Each time I print from my Newton, and then print
from the Pismo, the job number (job_nnn) has incremented by the number
of documents 'printed' from the Newton, which didn't appear in the
folder. Also, those documents that I have printed from the In/Out
application disappear from the Out box, whereas one that didn't (seem
to) print properly because I had made an error in the IP address remained.

I have a printer on the Cube, and am able to print to it from the Newton
using the LPR driver, so am reasonably sure the MP2100 setup is fine.

So - I also am looking for suggestions...

  - Don