Re: [NTLK] WiFi and WEP

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Wed Jun 11 2008 - 02:49:05 EDT

On Jun 10, 2008, at 5:13 PM, Douglas wrote:

> I finally figured out what I had been doing earlier as far as not
> being able
> to dock via WiFi - it was WEP. Once I turned it off, things worked
> like a
> dream.
>
> I am using Hiroshi's unlocked driver and a Classic OS Mac running
> as an
> Airport base station (not Extreme). I really do need to run WEP to
> keep my
> internet connection secure. What do I need to do to get my Newton to
> connect WITH WEP turned on?

1) make sure the card you are using on the newton side supports WEP
(ie Lucent wavelan silver/gold).
2) make sure the key from your airport base (40 bit?) is input
correctly in hex onto the newton (there is a function in the airport
admin software that will spit out the hex value for you).
3) luck.

I have seen some truly strange stuff with my Newton and WEP and my
various bases. I found one time that my Newton with the Wavelan Gold
card would NOT connect to my Airport graphite with a silver card in
it. I put a silver card in the Newton instead, and it worked right
away. I then put the gold card inside the base station and the
newton still only worked with the silver card. Weird, and
inexplicable to me.

HTH,
Marty