Re: [NTLK] Assistance in Newton Software Development

From: Stuart Mingay <stuartmingay_at_mac.com>
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 04:31:03 EST

Wow, Mark, that's two extra potential Newton developers in about 4 days!

I posted a few days ago asking pretty much the same question. The state of play as I understand it is this:

The development tools (which you can get from www.unna.org) run under Mac OS 7 to 9 only. This means you need a PPC Mac with OS 10.4 or less running in classic mode, or either a Mac or PC running an emulator. I've got Basilisk II up and running OS 7.5.5. It was easy to set up and the files on UNNA are geared to this emulator. One trouble is that it can't use the serial port if OS X (or Windows whatever) is using it.

Another emulator I tried last night was SheepShaver (yes, don't ask). I don't know what PC and OS you use, but there's an OS X zip file containing all the files you need to install ShepShaver on Yahoo. Google "sheepshaver macosxhints" and it's in the thread somewhere. I managed to get things up and running in the hour I had last night, and noticed that it could share a directory with its parent OS, but hadn't found a way of mounting the .DSK file that UNNA supplies the dev tools in as a disk within the emulator. I managed it in Basilisk II no probs. If anybody can tellme how to do this that'd be great!

UNNA has PDF versions of programmers books to download etc.

Read the docs is basically all I can suggest at the mo.

And now, I'll leave it to some more experienced developers to chip in (Simon?!).

Thanks

Stuart