Re: [NTLK] A few newbie questions.

From: Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG_at_aafes.com>
Date: Fri Mar 14 2008 - 10:46:45 EDT

From: Woody Smith

But huge amounts of memory for the Newton come at a price. Every
installed package takes up some amount of your precious system memory
and increases the time needed to catalogue in extras. again search
archives for discussion of ata cards

I find 32 MB to be quite enough...

I have to agree with this. When I had my ATA cards working * I had a 1
gb microdrive (BTW, anyone have a compact flash card or ATA that runs
faster than a Microdrive? If so, I might try that).

but I love hanging around here), and the more you add, the longer it
takes your menus to load for your file list.

In time, the extra storage was used for Mp3's since Mp3's do not show on
the main file directory.

Even still, really bogs things down. And then one bad hung up and you
have the reformat the whole card and spend HOURS.. days... reloading
everything.

In time, I reverted back to what seems to work best on the Newton, and
used the Newton for Solitare, Mod music, taking text and audio notes,
and using Linear flash cards.

Then Einstein came out for the Zaurus 5500. I tried it on the Zaurus
5600 with no success, but after seeing how quickly that device and other
can load songs, files, and all seamlessly (by swapping memory cards from
the Zaurus to a Mac or PC) I starting using that more and more.

I think the option to use more storage is great and I hope Paul can get
the drivers out there, but the Newton still works best under Linear
flash cards.

Doc Clu

* My ATA drivers and registration code is not working. :/ Need to get
with Paul on that.