Re: [NTLK] Inkwell and cursive HWR in OS X

From: Larry Yaeger <lsynt_at_beanblossom.in.us>
Date: Wed May 07 2008 - 17:42:48 EDT

At 10:20 PM +0200 5/7/08, Marcus Hammerschmitt wrote:
>With Vista sucking so much they might be even able to buy that tablet HWR from Microsoft and port it to the new Newt.

Heh. It's a lovely thought, and I wouldn't even feel bad about their software replacing Mondello (although the optimal solution would be to merge them, the way Microsoft merged Paragraph and their own in-house recognizer--I suspect that would produce a stunningly good HWR engine). But I wouldn't hold my breath. Relations were never that good between MS and Apple, and with Gates out and Ballmer in, I doubt relations are going to improve. (I imagine everyone has seen the now aging videos of Ballmer at MS developers conferences <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc4MzqBFxZE>, <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhUAr-P_39U>. Apparently the guy has always been like that, as one can see from this Windows 1.0 ad <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGvHNNOLnCk>. That guy scares me. And I'm sure he likes that idea. Which also scares me.) I'd love to be proven wrong, but I just can't see it happening.

- larryy