[NTLK] Inkwell and cursive HWR in OS X

From: Simon Stapleton <simon.stapleton_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu May 08 2008 - 03:19:36 EDT

> Any difference in accuracy between Inkwell's Ink window (InkPad) and
> its write-anywhere input window is purely a result user behavior,
> because they use the precise same code. I suspect the person who
> was having better luck with the write-anywhere model was simply
> writing larger and more smoothly than when they tried to write
> between the smallish lines of the InkPad, hence they got better
> recognition results.

You are undoubtedly right, Larry. It is entirely probable that what I
was seeing was entirely subjective, or more likely due to my own
actions ; I would suspect having to move my pen to the inkwell pad
causes me to write "less well" (I've never been one for writing
"between the lines", so it's probably not that).

Thanks for chiming in, it's always interesting to have the story "from
the horse's mouth", as it were.

I would also like to thank you (and, by extension, all the others who
were involved) profusely for the work the whole Newton team carried
out; you smashed the concept of what a computer was and put it back
together as something genuinely friendly and useful. Regardless that
the concept seemingly fell out of favour and stagnated, your part in
that is something you can and should be inordinately proud of.

It's a crying shame that someone isn't picking up on the "Newton"
concept - it's not just the HWR, but the seamlessness of the whole,
the fact it's utterly targetted at a particular usage - rather than
trying to simply shoehorn the "desktop" metaphor into a palmtop /
tablet form factor.

People laugh at my Newton, laugh at the fact I insist on using a 10
year old, and by now slightly battered, piece of hardware. Once they
see what it can do, jaws drop, and they start asking if they can have
a play, where they can get one, etc.

Good luck in all your current and future ventures.

Simon