Re: [NTLK] might give up on newton

From: Albert <albotic_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue May 13 2008 - 11:54:26 EDT

 Sorry to jump in, but I was also in your situation as well. A
non-connected Newton has some limits to it's usefulness since you can't
install programs. However due to the wonderful developers we still have
there are ways of connecting the Newton to new computers.
I use the USB Dongle from Notwen.com, and it is a real joy to use. It uses
the common USB ports on your computer and sets itself up as a serial port.
It works great using Scott Hanselman's method for setting up the Newton to
synch with modern computers using Virtual PC and Lookout. I was able to
successfully install packages as well as synch with a Windows Vista Machine
with my Outlook 2003 and Lookout.

I am also currently looking to have some companies manufacture some new
Screen protectors for the Newt and will let you guys know of my success or
not in the next week or so.

I know there is some orphanware packages out there that haven't been
unlocked, but us Newt users are a resourceful bunch and maybe someone out
there will find contact info for the developers and get them to unlock or at
least provide serial numbers for programs that are no longer being made.

Just some thoughts..