Re: [NTLK] The "iMoleskine" ?

From: Joel M. Sciamma <joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk>
Date: Tue May 20 2008 - 07:51:03 EDT

Simon,

> Of all the manufacturers, Apple have probably the best chance at the
> moment to make a real, workable, and above all sellable, tablet
> device.

Absolutely, who else has the resources and the spirit to do such a
thing?
Mac OS is a dead end, we need something better.

> Whether you love or hate OSX, it has the capability to provide the
> underpinnings of an absolutely *blinding* tablet device. Not some
> godawful "desktop shoehorned into a palmtop", but a real, honest-to-
> goodness tablet device as befits a son of Newton. A paradigm-busting
> combination of hardware and software, a real machine for the rest of
> us.

It's interesting that we will be able to compare various
instantiations of OSX as it makes its way into various Apple
products. The toolbox that allows you to make something like the
iPhone allows you to make something that can take the concept of what
a personal computer should be out of the stagnant pond where Mac OS
has been languishing and into a device that respects data first and
foremost and simplifies the experience in the way that the Newton
pioneered.

Many of the ideas that you describe are and have been waiting in the
wings for a long time and their synthesis into something usable is
the task that faces IT companies right now. Mac OS is currently
gaining traction because it does the old-fashioned thing better than
Microsoft, who are tripping over their 'big hairball', but this wont
last for ever because the basic deficiencies with computing this way
will come to aggravate and impede more and more people.

There are many possibilities for making computing significantly
better than it is now and bring it properly into the 21st century.

Cheers,

Joel.