Re: [NTLK] Still can't get Wifi to work on my 2100

From: Matthew Reidsma <mreidsma_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu May 29 2008 - 10:51:05 EDT

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Brett Feinblatt <bafein@mac.com> wrote:

> I still get nothing but Error -60088 when I try to connect.

Brett,

I assume you've already checked this, but from the Newton Error Database:

"This error can occur during an attempt to connect to the internet. If
the Newton is set to use DHCP, and the DHCP request fails, then the
connection cannot be established and this error pops up.

Check to make sure a DHCP server is available on your network, and
that it doesn't require any additional information in its request.
Some high-speed cable ISPs require that you send a special string
along with the DHCP request in order to authenticate - NIE 2.0's DHCP
client doesn't know how to send these requests (and generally sucks)."

Are you sure that you aren't required to send something else with your
DHCP request?

The only other things I can think of are:

1. Some Silver Turbo cards use a chipset incompatable with the Newton
(these are the later cards). However, I don't know if you'd get as far
as you have if this was the case. (Also, I could be wrong. I'm sifting
through vague memories of 8 years of the list archives in my head
right now...)

2. AFAIK, when 802.11g came out, there were some issues with routers
running in both b and g mode. I'm not sure if this was ever resolved,
but I know that I had to run my b/g router is all b mode for the
Newton to connect (this was a few years ago). It's worth trying this
at least to troubleshoot.

Also, I'd turn off WEP for a few minutes and just get the Newton to
connect, then add the WEP once you've got the connection working.
Eliminating as many possible hurdles as possible while you are trying
to get Wifi working will make your life easier.

Good luck!

---
M. Reidsma
Boston, MA