Re: [NTLK] 2100 + Battery Rebuild = Fried Newton

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun Nov 02 2008 - 20:31:42 EST

Hmmm, an external charger . . . that's what I use my old 2000 with the
jaggies. It has the jaggies real bad but it makes a decent battery charger.
As for rebuilds, I am using three rebuilds with various size cells. When my
friend heard of my dilemma (I messed one up real bad. My hands ain't what
they used to be.) he said he could rebuild them for me. After ha did a
couple he told me to let everyone on Newton Talk know he would re-cell the
batteries for $50 and real postage charges. I like the fact he pots them in
a kind of Epoxy so nothing can move or short out. Anyway they work great for
me.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
mhowe@gfn.org (Newton)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/

Lord Groundhog wrote
<snip>
This brings me out of the shadows to ask a question that's been on my mind
since I got my first Newton 3 years ago: is there such a thing as an
external charger for MP2x000 battery packs? They exist for other laptops
and gizmos: for example, I've seen one for the Mac Pismo that lets you
charge 2 batteries at once, and even though they're rare and I don't have
one (yet) I hope to get one, as well as maybe finding some ambitious 3rd
party one for my MacBook eventually. But I've never even heard of such a
thing for the MP. It would be the coolest thing: just pop the discharged
pack out and plug it in, pull a freshly charged pack out of the charger and
slip it into the Newt. Voila! And if it could charge 2 at a time even
better, right?
<snip>
And last, on the subject of battery pack rebuilds, I'm using all rebuilds,
courtesy of maestro Frank Gruendel, and I haven't had a moment's trouble,
and I know I'm not alone. I also know there are others out there who do
expert jobs of rebuilding and get similarly good results. Without wishing
to insult anyone's skill at DIY, my own experience tells me that developing
the level of care for detail and precision needed to rebuild rechargeable
battery packs *reliably* to high standard can be hard to achieve and takes
practice. So often it's the little things that can trip you up when you're
learning.
<snip>