Re: [NTLK] 2100 + Battery Rebuild = Fried Newton

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Nov 03 2008 - 12:32:40 EST

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Ryan Vetter <ryanv@me.com> wrote:
> I might send you my Newton for repair, but I will take it apart and find
> the culprit first.

Ryan, if you look at this photo you will see at the top below the crystal
switch (aquamarine square) between the top Yellow Crystal and the Brown line
signifying the common wire there is a black square. This piece of
electronics is what I believe you are looking for.

http://flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/254359271/in/set-72157594302212845/

It is my understanding that this is the purpose of this piece of electronics
- to suppress and protect the Newton from excessive damage from voltages
coming from the power adapter especially if it's a non-Newton Power Adapter
. From what I recall it's replacement might revive the Newton. I could be
wrong here... someone correct me gently :P

My best.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung