Re: [NTLK] Where to find Apple part numbers and more...

From: <info_at_punkt-x.de>
Date: Tue Nov 04 2008 - 13:36:30 EST

Hi Sonny,
thanks for answering again.

Unfortunately I think we can close this thread now.

You found the same auction as me:

>http://cgi.ebay.com/new-Apple-Newton-PDA-5-messagepad-LCD-screen-QULCMAAB_W0QQitemZ360007056938QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116#ht_1532wt_0
>http://tinyurl.com/6rlacn
>http://preview.tinyurl.com/6rlacn
>
>Additionally I am including a link to Frank's web page dealing with the
>replacement of said screen.
>
>http://pda-soft.de/mp_1x0_display.html

If I compare the pictures, it is obvious that it
must be a unit for the 1X0 Newtons.

>If yes, what a pitty!
>>
>> With Frank, do you mean Frank Gruendel?
>>

>Absolutely, he is the one person anyone would recommend imo for an answer to
>most Newton related questions and repairs.
>
>--
>God bless,
>
>Sonny Hung
>the Hung Family

Seems to become difficult.
I regret to have to express: The Newtons are a dying out species.

And I think Apple was and is stupid not to bring out the Newton again.
IMHO Steve Jobs (CEO of Apple, Killer of Newton)
must have a personal problem with the device.
There's no other rational explanation.

Of course the Newton was much too expensive when it came out.
But after the 1-billion-$-development the product
itself was ready and the production costs per
unit can't be the reason to stop it.

The Newton (even in origin!) would be successfull
today more than ever. (Any doubts???)

And better:
Together with a glass Touchscreen in colour (like
the iPod touch/iPhone) and its "old"!!!
handwriting recognition it would be a new
success-story even with it's original size.

But together with new and faster technologies and
a new outfit (look onto the iPod touch), that
means thinner and more elegant, and a price of -
let's say 700 $ - it should sell and sell. The
other present "competitors" can't compare with it.

At least, the fate of this first and real PDA is not to understand at all:
Would you, would we have such a Product (with all
of it's technology and rights!) in the drawer and
wait and wait until it is outdated?
No, surely not. And I wonder at its enduring
capacity and "newness" in comparison to other
devices.
The Newton seems not to become outdated, it just
fades away, - one after the otherŠ

It's frustrating, really

Stefan