Re: [NTLK] Where to find Apple part numbers and more...

From: Dennis B. Swaney <romad_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue Nov 04 2008 - 14:24:02 EST

info@punkt-x.de wrote:

> Seems to become difficult.
> I regret to have to express: The Newtons are a dying out species.
>
> And I think Apple was and is stupid not to bring out the Newton again.
> IMHO Steve Jobs (CEO of Apple, Killer of Newton)
> must have a personal problem with the device.
> There's no other rational explanation.
>
> Of course the Newton was much too expensive when it came out.
> But after the 1-billion-$-development the product
> itself was ready and the production costs per
> unit can't be the reason to stop it.
>
> The Newton (even in origin!) would be successfull
> today more than ever. (Any doubts???)
>
> And better:
> Together with a glass Touchscreen in colour (like
> the iPod touch/iPhone) and its "old"!!!
> handwriting recognition it would be a new
> success-story even with it's original size.
>
> But together with new and faster technologies and
> a new outfit (look onto the iPod touch), that
> means thinner and more elegant, and a price of -
> let's say 700 $ - it should sell and sell. The
> other present "competitors" can't compare with it.
>
> At least, the fate of this first and real PDA is not to understand at all:
> Would you, would we have such a Product (with all
> of it's technology and rights!) in the drawer and
> wait and wait until it is outdated?
> No, surely not. And I wonder at its enduring
> capacity and "newness" in comparison to other
> devices.
> The Newton seems not to become outdated, it just
> fades away, - one after the otherŠ
>
> It's frustrating, really
>
> Stefan

Steve Jobs' main difficulty was/is with John Scully who got Steve kicked
out of Apple years ago. The Newton was Scully's pet project so it-had-to-go!

Actually, all the MacBook Air needs is a touch screen and Inkwell to be
activated without requiring a Wacom tablet. But in an interview Steve
Jobs definitely ruled out Tablet Macs, so we'll have to wait until he is
gone.

  --
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney

"Windows is a command-line OS with a GUI shell while Mac System 10 is
... oh, never mind."