Re: [NTLK] Where to find Apple part numbers and more...

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Nov 04 2008 - 16:07:26 EST

Actually, this is not entirely correct.
What makes the Newton a "Newton" (notice the quotes on the second "Newton"?) is not that is uses a pen for entry, or that it uses a touch screen...This is like saying "what makes gasoline a fuel is the can that is resides in" When actually, the answer is oxygen...something that you cannot see and something that is most important.
What makes the Newton a "Newton" is the "Newton Intelligence" Coupled with the editing features of the pen input. I've used dozens of pen input applications and NONE of them have the ease of use of the Newton...the obvious editing ability and the recognition ability of the Newton. I was excited with the Windows CE handwriting recognition, until I tried to scribble out a mistake....or double-tap a word, then make an upward gesture waiting for the word to be capitalized...it never happened...
No other handheld system "works" like the Newton...and for that we are all lost when we attempt to discover a substitute...Its kinda like Sugar...Newton it pure cane sugar...everything else is a sugar substitute...sure they are all sweet, but some leave a bad aftertaste, or are lacking or don't have the fullness of real sugar...Sure, use the substitute long enough and you can become accustomed to the "flavor" (I used to love Tab with Saccarine) but your senses crave what the substitute cannot offer...and when you go back to the real flavor, you wonder why you ever thought that anything could substitute...To borrow a slogan from Coke-a-cola...Newton, it's the *REAL* thing!.

Ed
web/gadget guru
By Richard Feynman, Physicist, Nobel winner (1918-1988)

"There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers."