Re: [NTLK] Battery Draining When At Rest

From: Gary Moody <gmoody_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon Nov 17 2008 - 23:34:15 EST

Hi Dave,

One thing that many folks overlook is the "Receive Beams Automatically" preference. This should be in the Newton FAQ, but I could not locate the reference. This is a bit of "Old Guy" wisdom I received years ago from this list when I experienced the same issue.

Leaving this prefence enabled sets a state for the Newton where it never actually goes into a "Deep" sleep mode, as this preference requires the Newton to continuously poll the Infrared port to determine if a beam is being received, even while asleep. This has been characterized as a "Light" sleep mode. As such, the polling activity will burn through batteries quickly, even if the Newton is, on the surface, doing nothing.

All users should disable this preference, as a matter of course, to preserve battery life unless they are using the beaming frequently or have some compelling reason to ensure beams are received with no manual intervention.

Disable this preference and see if this helps.

Of course, there is also the issue of the rollover of tasks in the wee hours of the morning. Under certain circumstances, with a certain mix of installed software, the Newton will stay on longer than required, which will also drain the batteries quickly. Usually this behavior can be cured by a reset, but not always...it may require a brain-wipe and reload.

Try the beaming preference first.

Regards,

Gary

-------- Original-Nachricht --------