Re: [NTLK] Question about Newton and WLAN (on Mac OS-X 10.4.11)

From: R A Parker <Quadzillanet_at_SBCGlobal.NET>
Date: Fri Oct 24 2008 - 10:25:00 EDT

On Friday, October 24, 2008 at 6:07 am info@punkt-x.de wrote:

> Is this possible at all between my Mac
> mini and the Newton directly or do
> I have to go over my router??

Yes

You need two pieces of software: A Client and a Host.

The Client software (on the Newton) is typically the Dock. It could also be the NTK Toolkit app.

The Host software can be several choices depending on your setup and hardware/software available. With OS X and a single ethernet source (broadband wireless router}, you probably want to look at NCX.

> What I see is, that the Airport symbol
> in the screen menue doesn't
> show "black waves",
> I have never before established a
> computer-to-computer connection via
> Airport, so I don't know whether that's
> normal behavior or not. >?)

It sounds like you need to look into an Ad Hoc connection.

If you can run Classic, have a built in ethernet and an Airport card in your Mini, you can use NCU or NBU or NTK as your Host.

Check out this PDF. You may be able to adapt the idea to your needs.

<http://webpages.charter.net/quadzillanet/HOWTO-WirelessAppleTalk.pdf>

Ron

--
Sent with Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
       |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM