Re: [NTLK] Dedicated Newton Forum?

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Thu Sep 04 2008 - 07:34:07 EDT

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Marisa Giancarla <fstltna@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I agree that a forum is not a replacement for newtontalk - for all the
> reasons you said. However it provides a different set of features so as
> to be a complement to, instead of competitor to, the classic newtontalk.

The truth is that while I'm not against a forum, per se, I don't see
it being terribly useful for long. Forums tend to foster a community
where people jump in to ask a question and just leave (either
forgetting to come back or never return once their question is
answered). There are always die hards that stick around, but
Newted.org had a good forum for years that fell into a state where
only random people who happened across it asked questions on it and
Grant had to answer all the questions when he checked up on it.

Also, while I prefer this NewtonTalk format, LinkedIn did recently add
discussions to groups, so that does mean that one could use the
NewtonTalk group on LinkedIn as a forum. We really had started it as a
way for professionals that had met on NewtonTalk to be able to network
and/or keep in touch, but there's no reason once can't exploit the
other functionalities it offers.

BTW - For those that missed it, the LinkedIn group is here:
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/65494. Feel free to join (memberships
are approved by Grant and me).

Morgan Aldridge

---