Re: [NTLK] Safari Pad - Apple's Tablet Computer

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed Apr 22 2009 - 01:35:35 EDT

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 10:21 PM, <info@punkt-x.de> wrote:
> keyboard will be much faster than a stylus.
> Although I'm very fast on paper too. The
> advantage of the Newton HWR is of course that you
> have your writing "in the box" afterwards and it
> is digitized then.

Actually, the HWR is great for many applications (even over thumb
keyboards, which, in my experience are not really faster). For one,
when standing. Try standing and typing on a normal keyboard. It
doesn't work too well. Also, any truly small-screened-device is going
to have problems when sitting on your lap. And again, the thumb querty
keyboards aren't significantly any faster than Newton's HWR. And
another genuine benefit of the stylus and HWR is that people seem to
subconsciously accept it better over typing. I use a Treo now, and I
can tell you that the unconscious reaction to my typing on it during a
conversation creates a subtle, but perceptible reaction. The Newton
was much more "organic" and people tended to ignore it, at least once
the initial admiration wore off. ;-) On the other hand, people are
always aware when I'm typing. Sometimes, I even turn on Graffiti on my
Treo, just to help with that subtle reaction. I'm not saying that
stylus computing is a total negative, but that people find them less
than perfect over fat-fingering without a stylus. This seems to be a
market reality.

> And we don't need a hardware-keyboard: Did you
> see the "virtual keyboard" some years ago, which
> is beamed onto any flat surface? It was developed
> for difficult surroundings (medicine, chemistry,
> etc.) A camera or IR-sensor follows the position
> of the fingers.

They have discovered one problem with this virtual keyboard. I know
some people on a Palm discussion site who bought them, and they were
highly dissatisfied with them. The problem is, you are typing on a
hard surface that has no give. It is very fatiguing to type like this
for any period of time. I don't expect this to replace a real keyboard
any time soon. And those keyboards you see on sci fi movies--that are
on the screen on the desk? Pretty much the same. People want the
tactile feedback, and the give of the keys.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland