Re: [NTLK] Thanks to all you Newtoneers!

From: Dennis B. Swaney <romad_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed Apr 22 2009 - 09:49:08 EDT

Matt Howe wrote:
> It was a G3 All-In-One commonly called a "Molar" because it looked like a
> giant tooth. It weighed 50 pounds, seriously 50 bounds (23kg). I wanted to
> move it into a PC cabinet so it would fit on my KVM switch and work with my
> LCD monitor, Logitech keyboard and mouse. I had questions on power pins, on
> off switch and USB support. I eventually figured it out on my own with my
> trusty DVM. Now my G3 resides in an old IBM PC case. On the front it says
> "IBMac". My daughter calls in my Macenstein. I run OS 9.0 in it and it is
> loaded with all of the NTK and NCU stuff so I can develop in PC or Mac. Not
> bad for $5.00 at a garage sale and some junk PC parts scrounged from my junk
> pile.
>
> I don't remember what groups I was logged into. All I know as I never got so
> much as a welcome message, let alone an answer to any of my questions. But
> if any of you guys ever want to mount a G3 in a PC ATX case, I know all of
> the secrets now.

Ok, that was an iMac. BTW, I never heard the G3 iMac referred to as a
"molar" before. I own a Bondi Rev B that came with a 233 MHz processor.
I installed a HARMONi upgrade card and boosted it to 400 MHz and added a
FireWire port. Now if you run Apple System Profiler,you can get the
specs; they'll look something like this from my G5 iMac:

Hardware Overview:

   Machine Name: iMac G5
   Machine Model: PowerMac8,2
   CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.1)
   Number Of CPUs: 1
   CPU Speed: 2 GHz
   L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
   Memory: 2 GB
   Bus Speed: 667 MHz
   Boot ROM Version: 5.2.5f1

If you give me that info, I can tell you what flavor iMac the logic
board is from.

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney