Re: [NTLK] Apple Newton Search Question

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed Apr 22 2009 - 10:08:15 EDT

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Matt Howe <matthowe@comcast.net> wrote:
> This is true of doing a record search. But there is also the "Find" utility.
> It is a system wide text search. It will search the currently open soups or
> system wide depending on the user's choice. If you choose system wide, it
> will even search through Ebooks.

To the best of my knowledge, it is still performing the same kind of
search, whether system-wide, chosen apps or a single app. It searches
the soups, but I believe it is actually only searching the indexes of
the soups. BTW, not all apps allow searching. I know, for instance,
that PocketQuicken soups were a mess, and not readable in normal
ways--all binary? In any case, since soups are (ahem) souped-up
databases, it works more as a database search than anything else. It's
been many years since I read up on this, so I'm not sure about the
index searching, but I don't think the search function changes from
app-wide to system-wide... Apple's documentation is, I'm sure, still
out there. So, for the original poster, you would be much better
served if you sought out the proper documentation (which I'm sure
people here will be all-to-glad to help with) and reading the docs
yourself to ascertain how it was performed. If this is a work of
scholarship, you really need to refer to primary sources, and not just
our opinions here on the list. :-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland