Re: [NTLK] Apple Tablet Probably Imminent

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Fri Aug 07 2009 - 01:55:38 EDT

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 11:49 PM, Ryan Vetter<physicalconstants@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> What is interesting about the set up is that you get more mobility than a traditional laptop, with arguably more functionality.  A small bluetooth keyboard and a thin tablet would fit nicely in a custom neoprene sleeve, and likely weigh less than a full featured laptop.

the problem with all these scenarios (speech, tablet with a prop and
external BT keyboard) is complexity.

The tablet idea in theory is a beautifully simple system. The Newton
is the pinnacle of it. However, when you start adding in stands,
keyboards, speech recognition (with a mic/headset) you suddenly start
adding complexity. This complexity is where it all falls apart. Do I
want to have to carry all that garbage with me? My netbook is small,
and flat and compact. I carry it places I would never carrry a
notebook, and it doesn't need a big bag, that sleeve is sufficient.
yet, it's self-contained--screen, keyboard, camera, mic and speakers.
No need for extra hardware. If you are going to carry a tablet, you
can carry a netbook, and most of the time, you can use a netbook.
Tablets are redunant and ridiculously complex in practical use (except
the Newton).

Thanks to the Newton, Apple has a very high standard to live up to. I
don't know if they are even attempting it.

By now, we should be experienced with Apple enough to know that
whatever is announced (if anything _is_ announced) that it won't be
anything like what we are expecting. And by anything, I mean it. It
will probably be a living room appliance, designed to work with the
AppleTV, and not go out of the house, or something else nobody is
expecting. Don't get your hopes up for a tablet like we think of, or a
new Newton. It just ain't gonna happen.

BTW, if a netbook is too big for what you want, a tablet probably is
too. That's what iPhones and Pres are for. ;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland