Re: [NTLK] I'm Back, Baby

From: M. Horvat <redjazz_slo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Aug 14 2009 - 13:37:24 EDT

> I still bring out the MP2100 to show my sons' friends (that's
> plural possessive of sons) and have sometimes convinced people it is a
> new Apple prototype.

Similar to how I sometimes convince people my Newton cigarette pack modem is a new iPhone prototype that has a screen cover. I just hold it in my hand in such a way they don't see the cable and the ports.

> I had some interesting hits and misses over the years of Newton use. I
> was one of the first people to find the OMP's hidden diagnostic menu,
> that gave hints to future OS upgrades (deferred recognition anyone?).
> I think I posted this on Compuserve so you can guess I am not 17.

You mean that thing when you tap on the upper left and then on the upper right corner of the Extras drawer? That still works in OS 1.3, even on a MP120. I never got any of the options to work, though. Nice to hear you were one of the original Newton 'explorers'.

> During the Newton's heyday, I wrote several free Newton
> Books, such as the BBC series Dr. Who episode, or individual US states'
> RCRA (hazardous waste) regulations differ from federal USEPA
> rules. You can find these at http://www.mrollins.com/newton.html

I read through your whole site. I thought "what a shame, another former Newton user whose website was last updated in 1998". I liked the site though. Do you still have any of the fun packages described on newtfun.htm? I'd like to try them out.

> I even had a commercial product - 1996 US DOT emergency response guide
> in Newton Book format http://www.mrollins.com/softwar2.html  All
> these were released to the public domain.

Congratulations.

Great to see you here again.

-Matej Horvat