Re: [NTLK] MagicCap and Newton

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Tue Aug 18 2009 - 13:42:11 EDT

On 8/18/2009 12:50 PM, MoonMan wrote:
> Im a bit confused. Does anyone know how MagicCap and Newton are
> related, or if they are at all?
>
> according to wikipedia, the newton began development in 1989, and was
> released in 1993
>
> MagicCap began life at apple in 1990, but was spun off as GeneralMagic
> in may of that year, got a bunch of corporate partners, and
> eventually ended up being absorbed by windows CE.
>
> I am just a bit confused, how a whole other platform was developed and
> spun off while the newton was developed.
>
> Anyone remember anything?

Hmm I don't recall it being a part of Apple. Sony rings a bell though,
it may have started there.

The Magic OS was intersting and had many upsides to it. The interface
was something like Microsoft's BOB. However it never really could
compete with a newton, other than sync ablity. Magic had the upper hand
in that area. I have not used one so what I am saying here may be
incorrect, but from everything I have heard it was bacially a very
simple tablet computer. And it never got the market threshold that the
Newton did. The latest version (of the OS and hardware) had real
promise but by then it was too late and GM folded shortly after (sounds
like the Newton eh?).

I still have some articles from those days in old issues of Pen
Computing I can look up.

-Dan