[NTLK] OT: Better keyboard, mouse for iMac alu midsummer 2007

Don Zahniser dzahniser at rochester.rr.com
Wed Dec 9 12:36:37 EST 2009

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 11:32:03 -0500, SteveC <steve at craftsathome.net> wrote:

> +1 for the IIGS keyboard. It lacks a number pad, but without that and a
> lot
> of extra plastic "fat" it really is a space-saver (think small school
> desks
> and small kid hands). Be aware though that the ADB ports have a known
> weakness inside the cord-connector area; if the keyboard stops working or
> "types erratically", open it up and put a drop of solder at each point
> around the connectors and you should be all set.*

The several IIGS keyboards that I had (and still have one) were/are a
low-profile, short-keystroke design with a number pad but no function keys
or pageup/pagedown key cluster.  The cursor keys are in a straight line to
the right of the space bar and the '\' key.  The control key is to the
left of the 'A' key.  It's almost as if the designers started with a
VT-100 keyboard, but moved the cursor keys down and added/relocated some
keys to the left/right of the space bar (and replaced the function of the
PF keys).

I really like the feel of this keyboard, and searched quite a bit to find
a suitable substitute USB keyboard when I got my Cube (since sold).  I
really love the Kensington Slim Type keyboard, both for its feel and for
its compact design.  I 'lost' it when I changed My Lady Technophobe over
 from a Quadra 650 with IIGS keyboard to a blue iMac.  She has neuropathy,
and the Slim Type is a lot easier on her hands than the other keyboards I
had available (the iMac keyboard, Apple Pro keyboard, etc).

--
Don Zahniser