[NTLK] Newton Screen Test - Take 3

From: Frank Lowney <frank.lowney_at_gcsu.edu>
Date: Sun Feb 01 2009 - 11:44:14 EST

Thanks to Thomas Brand, I have a pair of excellent .png files with an
alpha channel that allows my Newton screencast show through as if it
were a frame to a picture. Here's a screen test using the "backlight"
version. The final version will have better screen alignment.
http://hercules.gcsu.edu/~flowney/screencasts/Newton_Screen_Test.003.mov

Now the challenge is to figure out what to show this audience of
iPhone and iPod users, some of whom may have never seen a Newton. At
first I thought that showing a few of the more popular apps in use
around 1997 or so would be the right way to pay tribute to the Newton
and its influence upon all subsequent devices in this genre. However,
further reflection suggests to me that showing the things that have
been be done on the Newton that parallel things that people are using
iPhones do with their mobile device might be better. WiFi, Web
Browsing, E-Mail, etc.

Your thoughts on that are most welcome.

Oh yes, there's one more thing: Since this is just the intro to a 20
minute presentation, I'll have to keep the time on this clip down to
1-2 minutes.

Dr. Frank Lowney Georgia College & State University
     Senior Director for External Projects
        and Assistant to the Director, Digital Innovation Group @
Georgia College
     Web Enabled Resources,
     GCSU Library and Instructional Technology Center
     E-Mail: frank.lowney@gcsu.edu -- frank.lowney@me.com
     Professional Pages: http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~flowney
Voice: (478) 445-5260
NOTICE: Please be advised that I am hearing impaired and communicate
most effectively via e-mail. Follow-up summaries of telephone
conversations by e-mail are most appreciated.