Re: [NTLK] Getting Nethopper to work on Einstein Platform

From: Frank Lowney <frank.lowney_at_gcsu.edu>
Date: Mon Feb 09 2009 - 13:32:05 EST

On Feb 9, 2009, at 11:13 AM, matthiasm wrote:

> On 09.02.2009, at 16:58, Morgan Aldridge wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Frank Lowney
>> <frank.lowney@gcsu.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does that mean that the Einstein emulator cannot emulate TCP/IP
>>> activity? That would make my efforts to get Nethopper and other
>>> Newton web browsers to work an exercise in futility. Advice on that
>>> please.
>>
>> Yes, Einstein does not support TCP/IP yet so you won't be able to
>> actually connect to anything with Einstein.
>
> That is unfortunatley correct.

Well, that kinda puts a big damper on my Tribute to Newton video.
With my presentation in just two weeks, I don't think that this will
happen. I suppose I can use this video done by someone else:

http://podcasting.gcsu.edu/4DCGI/Podcasting/GCSU/Episodes/13869/5393.mp4

.... it does show what I wanted the audience to see: Newton as a
precursor to the mLearning hardware we have today and those we will
likely see in the near future (still ahead of the curve in many ways).

As well, I won't even get into iTunes for the Newrton:

http://www.pixell.net/doppler/newton/ (still available)

Unfortunately, it doesn't support iTunes 4.9 which is where and when
Podcasting support was added. Anyone know of a Newton app that
serves as an RSS Aggregator for Podcast channels/episodes?

>>> Another source of confusion for me is the fact that the
>>> documentation
>>> and online repositories all refer to "Einstein 2007.7" but
>>> installing
>>> it and looking at the About dialog in MacOS X, it says: Version
>>> 2006.6!
>>>
>>> I had assumed that http://code.google.com/p/einstein would be most
>>> current. Am I mistaken about that?
>>
>> 2007.7 is the latest. It's possible that the version string wasn't
>> updated in the plist that shows the version number in the about
>> window.
>
> Ooops, how emberrassing. I forgot to update the strings. The version
> on google code is actually .7.
>
> ----
> http://robowerk.com/

Dr. Frank Lowney Georgia College & State University
     Senior Director for External Projects
        and Assistant to the Director, Digital Innovation Group @
Georgia College
     Web Enabled Resources,
     GCSU Library and Instructional Technology Center
     E-Mail: frank.lowney@gcsu.edu -- frank.lowney@me.com
     Professional Pages: http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~flowney
Voice: (478) 445-5260
NOTICE: Please be advised that I am hearing impaired and communicate
most effectively via e-mail. Follow-up summaries of telephone
conversations by e-mail are most appreciated.