Re: [NTLK] Dear Steve Jobs... (your help is needed)

From: David Lawrence <newtonpoetry_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Feb 14 2009 - 11:27:59 EST

The future belongs to those of us still willing to get their hands dirty, as
KMFDM says.
I think the petition is a fine idea: it's civil, and accommodating, and lays
it all out there. If Apple is capable of releasing System 6-7, then surely
releasing some Newton code is in the realm of possibility. Get some
important signatures on there (like Woz?) and you've got a movement.

But what's wrong with all of these approaches? Contact the patchers and get
dirty with some code to fix this problem, plus lobbying Apple (not just
Steve - it may be worth it to try some PR folks), plus bringing some
attention to our cause through the Mac media, plus a march on Infinite
Loop...

...if we really want things to happen, we're going to have to work for it.
It seems to me that trying all of these approaches is worth it. What's the
worst that could happen? We fail? Can you imagine if some poor schmuck
from Apple got the Newton community as his assignment? Can you imagine how
much attention we could draw to the Newton cause and the Newton platform if
we get this right?

I'm a relative noob when it comes to Newton stuff, so I'm not on top of the
software and the coding issues with the 2010 bug. But communication is in
my blood, and I'm putting myself out there to help on that front.

I always think of how best to communicate with those in power (politicians,
etc.), and the most effective I have ever seen is persistent, steady contact
over periods of time. If Apple were to receive a letter (not an e-mail!)
from each of us every week, plus a phone call, plus some media attention,
plus some big-shots who are rooting for us, plus a public statement at WWNC
- I'd think they'd have to pay attention eventually.

It just depends on how hard we want to work.

dave

--
MessagePad Jabberwocky
http://newtonpoetry.com