Re: [NTLK] Newton Knowledgebase Launched

From: David Neale <david.neale_at_telenet.be>
Date: Thu Feb 26 2009 - 07:52:03 EST

Hello Ryan,

An excellent initiative. I say this as one who used his MessagePads a
lot several years ago. Then I built up a collection of useful URLs,
all saved in my bookmarks. Now, some five years later, about half of
those URLs no longer exist. I also applaud the initiative as one who
has tried to re-establish WiFi internet connection with my MessagePads
through a snow Airport Base Station and failed miserably. I would put
this down almost entirely to personal ignorance, were it not that I
managed just that all those years ago by following a single web page
of clearly written and well illustrated instructions. Sadly, that page
no longer exists and its archive is out of date, no longer matching
current MacOS X (or even the previous version of MacOS X) settings.

My own experience is too limited to allow me to contribute, but I
would urge those who can contribute to do so in a way that is not
filled with technical jargon, and which is amply illustrated. Remember
that your situation is not that of everyone else, so explain the setup
(hardware and software environment) for which you are writing and
consider, even if only by mentioning their possibility, variations and
consequences. I was recently reading a page which described in
excellent detail how to set up something -- I think it was Mail V, or
a WiFi card, but I'm not sure any more (and it certainly wasn't an
"official" page, but a sort of fan site): it went through everything
from the initial installation of NIE packages, the installation of the
driver, and so on, ending up with "and that's all there is to it" (or
words to that effect). But that wasn't "all there is to it," for no
mention had been made of the Internet Setup. For a regular Newton
user, no problem, of course, but new user would be utterly stumped.

I really hope your initiative takes off and becomes a great success.
And that it stays active!

David