Re: [NTLK] Spam?

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Thu Jul 16 2009 - 10:12:24 EDT

On 7/16/2009 9:52 AM, Dennis B. Swaney wrote:
> Larry Yaeger wrote:
>
>> What really bothers me is the occasional false positive--legitimate email that I would really like
*snip*

> That is why you should always review the contents of your spam folder(s)
> before emptying them. If you don't take that simple step, but rely on
> the software, then you will be burned by "false positives". There have
> been cases where people have lost job opportunities because of this.
>
> Perhaps, Grant, there is a way to strip email addresses from the
> archived messages? Just removing everything starting with "@" for example?

I think what Larry meant was some spam systems don't have a folder for
review, they just simply delete it depending on the design. I
personally only filter on my end (if at all possible, some webmail
accounts don't give the option) giving me the control. While my spam
filter does not appear to be quite as good as Google's I don't get false
positives either. And I would prefer seeing the occasional spam than
have a important email sent to the spam folder by accident.

One tip (and I am sure everyone here already knows this) be sure and
have all important addresses in your address book, especially if you are
relying on someonelse's spam filter. This enhances spam filters (not to
mention making it easier to search the spam folder) considerably.

-Dan